Framework for Counselling - how we work together
- Counselling sessions are weekly, on the same day, at the same time, and will last 50 minutes.
Confidentiality and the limits of confidentiality
- I will provide a secure space for the counselling, and all issues will be kept confidential, except if it emerges that there is a serious risk to you or another person, or where I am compelled by law to do so. In such rare circumstances I will always prefer to discuss any concerns and actions with you beforehand.
- I will not provide reports and letters about your counselling to anyone. If you consent, I can inform your GP of the start and end dates of the counselling.
- As required by BACP, I have my work supervised by a senior colleague to maintain appropriate standards of practice, and all material discussed in this supervision is kept confidential between us.
Drugs and alcohol
- If you appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I am likely to refuse to see you on that occasion.
- I will give you appropriate notice of breaks that I will take, for example, Christmas, Spring, Summer breaks. There will be no charge for breaks, or other sessions where I am not available.
- You will need to pay for any sessions you miss.
- A fee of £45-£60 is payable at the end of each session, unless agreed otherwise.
- I am bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and its complaints procedure.
- We agree between us a suitable number of sessions, with regular reviews.
- Endings are usually discussed, planned and worked towards.
David Cole, Counsellor/Psychotherapist